Pages

Monday, October 26, 2015

Typography Mason

This week for my Digital Media class at The University of Toledo we are learning and creating images based on TYPOGRAPHY. Typography is the art and technique of arranging type in order to make language visible. Overall I found typography to be very interesting. With typography, not all images come out the way you would like them to, so it took me awhile to choose the best photo to use for this project.
This image above is of my son and was created on GlassGiant.com. I used an 80 width and kept the font size small. At first I was not sure if people would be able to see what this image was, but after asking a few friends, they could immediately see it was a face and figured out that it was Mason (because why would I use anyone else's face for my projects when I have this adorable little boy).


The three images above of my son were created using Text-Image.com. Text-Image is an easy to use ASCII generator with a few different editing options. The first image is an ASCII converted photo and I chose to keep the background white, but changed the font color of the text to blue. I really like how the blue turned out with the white background. The second image is a HTML converted photo. It is hard to see (unless you click on the photo an make it bigger), but I chose normal font and used MASON as the text sequentially throughout the entire photo. This was probably my favorite photo from this portion of the assignment. Last, but not least, the third image is a Matrix converted photo. There were not many editing options for this conversion, but I chose to add extra contrast so you could see Mason's face a little better.


This image I created using Tagxedo.com. On this website they had lots of great examples that expanded my mind on all the different ways you could create word clouds. Word clouds are visual representations of text which may include additional imagery. For the image I created, I based it around all the love I have for my little family. This was my overall favorite website to use and I love the outcome of this project! Tagxedo.com was very easy to use and had a lot of great editing options. It was really hard to chose a font and color theme because I loved them all. I would use this website again to create a piece very similar to the image above to print out on a canvas and hang it in my living room.


 
These three images above were (in order) created using online typography generators: Textorizer 1, Textorizer 2, and Excoffizer. The first photo I used Textorizer 1, which was used on a picture of Mason laying down wearing his gray and blue jacket. Textorizer 1 takes words of your choosing and throws them onto the picture like confetti. The words I chose for this image were: Mason, baby, love, pride, & joy. I chose those words because they describe the love I have for my son. The second photo I used Textorizer 2. This online typography is really awesome. You can add random words, or you can use a quote. The quote I used for the picture of my boyfriend and son is from the song "It Won't Be Like This for Long" - by Darius Rucker. The quote is, "It won't be like this for long. One day we'll look back laughing at the week we brought him home. This phase is gonna fly by, so baby just hold on." I chose those lyrics, because our son is growing up way to fast already, and time is really flying by. I decided to keep the words a little smaller and closer together to really bring out the colors of the photo in the background, and had the words big enough to read, but not take over the entire picture. The third and final photo was created using Excoffizer. This was a lot different than all of the other websites. This image is based on using wavy lines, and does not use words or phrases. I kept the lines in this picture close so you could see Mason better. I like how skinny the lines are; you really have to focus on the picture to see how wavy the lines really are. I also like how the pitch black areas are completely filled in with solid black; it gives your eyes a couple places to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment